Having some kale that I need to use before it goes bad, my ears perked up when I heard Daphne Oz was making kale chips. I’d tried to make them before and both times were disasters – the first time undercooked and not crispy, the second time burnt to a crisp, so I was really amped to see how to make them. As you probably know, the recipe wasn’t shown on air, just mentioned that it was on the website. Went there & SURPRISE (not really on The Chew’s buggy website) no oven temp – just a time 15-18 minutes. So once again, I punted.
Luckily this time my kale chips came out perfectly. Woohoo!
- Set the oven temp to 375.
- Wash the kale & get as dry as possible on a paper towel.
- Remove any thick or fibrous ribs – if you don’t, either the kale leaves will be perfectly crispy while the stems are underdone or the stems will be perfect and the leaves will be like charcoal.
- Put the kale in a bowl and lightly toss with a little olive oil, some sesame seeds and a tsp of minced garlic.
- Daphne’s recipe said to add salt & pepper (I didn’t because my sesame seeds had sea salt)
- Spread on a cookie sheet & put into the preheated 375 degree oven for 5-10 minutes.